Monday, July 15, 2013

Montauk Open Water Swim



In my previous post Hamptons Marathon I mention a checklist of accomplishments that I need to cross off before I can feel confident about finishing the Arizona Ironman. (It’s a long list) And yes, I am still most nervous about the marathon run but coming in a close second is the 2 mile swim. For a firsthand look at how intense the Arizona swim is, take a look at this video...


Gives me the butterflies every time. After seeing this video, I came to the conclusion that doing my regular swim workouts (45 minutes to an hour swim in a pool) would not cut it. Of course I am going to be consistent with these swimming workouts a few times a week but I felt that I needed to step out of my comfort zone for this one. So I decided to do the Montauk Open Water Swim. The race is a 2 mile swim in the Atlantic Ocean at 7am (next weekend) I have yet to do a race in the ocean so it is great training for me. I say that because it is simply harder to swim in the ocean than in a pool. Obviously the water is way choppier; you are constantly fighting off waves and learning how to swim with a current, and not to mention being involved in a race atmosphere is beneficial. The Arizona Ironman is not in the ocean but I figure if I can complete a 2 mile ocean swim, I can finish a 2 mile swim in a river.

Again, reverting back to my previous post, the anxiety and anticipation will overwhelm me if I do not feel confident going into the Ironman. The sooner I finish these races the sooner I can stop worrying! I know that having these two events under my belt will help me mentally and of course physically throughout the race. So bring it on! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, cool video. I really liked this post. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete